Saturday, July 30, 2011

Move Over, HGTV!

I had a grand time this morning finally getting to one of my long-procrastinated jobs: reupholstering chairs! The chairs are antique and were a wedding gift from my parents. They bought them for a good deal from some friends who were moving abroad. Our very talented friend Christian restored them so that they weren't so rickety (but still left the sort of rustic look that I like). Months ago, I bought fabric to cover the seats, and finally had an urge to do the project today! Here's the transformation:

The fabric all ready to go, the five ugly chairs awaiting their make-over.


Before...ugly, gross, mismatched, stained seat-covers

In progress...the backs always looked so bad after my clumsy stapling, so I was always amazed to see how beautiful the fronts were!

This particular seat had three different fabrics on it...why the cute blue sunflower pattern was covered with that ugly plaid I will never know...but I removed a layer to give the staples more grip. Ripping up the fabric had a strange satisfaction to it.

After! Look how gorgeous they are! I'm so proud of my first upholstering job!

Purty purty! Add a little Scotchguard, and we will be home free! I also plan to buy removable seat cushions, for the dual purpose of leaving the fabric nicer longer, and for cushioning our bony butts...the foam on the chairs now is very thin. 5 chairs...perfect for three future kids...right? :-P

 Now...if only we get could get the apartment looking as pretty and put-together as these chairs...I unfortunately have little hope for that! My plan is to not say anything and see if Cooper notices the change when he gets home from work today (and don't worry, I'm not the type to be offended if he doesn't). This could be amusing...

4 comments:

  1. Excellent job! You didn't even call for help - I'm so proud of you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did watch a Youtube video to get the main idea. But everything worked out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look great! Hope he noticed. :) We got our removable seat cushions for a pretty good price and, when there's too much cat hair, you can just throw them in the washer! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. He did notice! After I couldn't resist making weird facial expressions after he dumped his stuff on one of the chairs without looking twice! Haha! Good ole Cooper.

    ReplyDelete