Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Things I Have Lately Been Thinking About

1. A lack of contentment is one of my major sins. It's terrible. It effects everything! And other than desperate prayer for an attitude change, I have no idea how to fix it! Lord help me.

2. I spend a lot of time browsing the internet because of the nature of my job (lots of downtime interrupted by freaked out students/parents/and why-are-you-even-calling-NAU-about-this-people on the phone), and I admit, I have kind of like reading the stupid news on Yahoo. Yahoo doesn't call it that, and actually takes itself quite seriously, but scanning the headlines today ("Bush's Emotional Interview", "Rarely Seen Celebrity Wives", "[Carrie] Underwood for Gay Marriage", "Zombie Plate Leads to Arrest"), there isn't exactly anything that could really be called serious news. It's mostly celebrity/weird people gossip (think "Tanning Mom"), and strange news, with the occasional badly reported political item in there. And I was convicted recently that if I am interested in and reading gossip about people, celebrities or otherwise, am I not breaking God's commands for not gossiping? I excuse it in my mind by thinking, "Oh, I don't know them personally, so it doesn't count," but I would hazard to guess that 90% of what the "news" reports is actually false information, or at least incomplete information, about celebrities and other folk who make it to the sites, and if I am believing it, talking about it, and judging celebrities and their lifestyles based on that, am I not participating wholeheartedly in what God disapproves of? I'm going to have to be much  more careful about what "stupid news" I indulge in, if at all.

3. I love England. Everything about it. I really want to travel there again one day. Or live there. I'm cool with that too. It's becoming a bit of an unmanageable obsession. Whether it's Doctor Who, Harry Potter, reading up on the royals (ARG! See #2), dreaming of Oxford, collecting pictures of British sites on Pinterest, drinking tea, reading British literature, and generally seeing my American vocabulary tilt bit by bit in a British direction...sigh. I think I have a problem. Now to convince the hubby that this is all quite reasonable...that surely there are parks and rec job opportunities across the pond...


2 comments:

  1. to combine news and England, you should follow the Olypmics preparations. :)

    ReplyDelete