I am suffering from acute, and I mean ACUTE senioritis. Or grad student-itis. Whatever you want to call it. I find it very difficult to get even the tiniest bit of motivation to do my homework. All the assignments seem rather the same after awhile. For instance, right now I'm supposed to be writing about a book I read as a child (Just as Long as We're Together by Judy Blume) and my reaction to it now as an adult, which is not an assignment type I've done before, but I really don't want to do it. I just don't. I'll write it out, get a grade slapped on it, and forget about it. I don't think I'm really learning anything anymore in my degree program. I'm just playing the game, getting the grades, and eventually that will all turn into a fancy piece of paper that says I have a Masters.
I admit, I'm somewhat befuddled by some of my teachers, and even my classmates, who are so obsessed with academia. People keep asking me if I'm excited to graduate and have my Masters. Truthfully, the only thing I'm really excited about is the fact that I can be done with school for as long as I please after May (I'll be taking AT LEAST a year off). The Masters doesn't mean a whole lot. It so far hasn't even gotten me terribly far in getting me a decent paying job, so I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.
One big reason I started this blog, aptly titled "Random Thought Corner," (since none of these posts will likely be terribly cohesive) was to see if I could like writing again. I'm getting my Masters in Creative Writing and I feel almost as if the program has ruined it for me. The push to be experimental and different in writing has only lead me to feel completely inept and frustrated that what I like to write is not what people like to read. Wait. Let me take that back. I'm frustrated that what I like to write is not what the elite few who actually read literary journals like to read. So what am I worried about? I'm not sure. I just feel that there is too much on my mind: getting married, finding a place to live, getting a 9-5 easy job, and learning to be the best wife I can be (because that is where I will find any worldly fulfillment that means anything for the Kingdom) that seems so much more pressing than a few essays, a couple Shakespeare plays, and a Masters thesis that will disappear in a poof of smoke as soon as the semester has ended. Sigh.
I love reading anything you write. I just find it amazing that someone who is fully related to me can write as well as you. I believe I have decent writing skills; it's just that I'm so laid back that I do not have a strong opinion on many subjects, so I find it difficult to write several pages on one subject. My mom is an amazing writer and I'd like to think you get your superior skill from her. :) In terms of an education, none of it matters to me as long as I am happy. I know I need a good education to get a decent paying job, so that's why I continue pressing on. The only thing that matters to me is doing the best I can to improve the lives of others. It brings me great joy in doing that. I just wish I had more time devoting myself to the cause. I barely know you, and I admire you so much. With your utter devotion to Christ and the seemingly happy life you lead, I can only hope to be like you. I want to be closer to Christ. It just seems that I have no support, or if there is support, I don't know where to find it. I honestly cannot WAIT to meet you! But I do wish you the best of luck in all your endeavors!
ReplyDelete-Jamie Parvin
Hey, it's Shelly! Just discovered your blog! :) I think you're going to be an amazing wife and hope the semester is wrapping up nicely!
ReplyDelete